My weight loss journey

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

DS's birth story

So my son was born on July 26th.  I call him Monkey so that's what I'll use in here.  It has taken me forever to get on here because I have been just focused on taking care of him and recovering.  So, I figured I'll get on here and post the birth story, then I'll give an update since then. :)

I was admitted to the hospital at 9pm on Monday, July 25th.  I was told by the nurse if I had gotten there about a half hour later, I would have been sent home because they were so busy!  I was given Cervidil at about 10 or so.  By midnight I was having contractions.  I asked them to give me something to help me sleep.  By 2am they were about a minute apart.  I wasn't dilating though.  I was only about 4cm.  At 3 or 4 am I was only at 4.5 cm.  I had enough, I told them to either take out the Cervidil or give me some pain meds.  I was then told I couldn't have any meds (except an epidural) until the Ambien they gave me had worn off (wouldn't be until 8 am).  By 10 am, I was done... I asked if I could talk to someone about an epidural.  12 hours of hard contractions with little to no progress, it was horrible.  After the epidural I was able to sleep!  It was soooo wonderful.  My midwife suggested starting pitocin and rupturing my membranes too after the epidural.  I agreed.  I was checked at 4pm and I was 5 cm.  By 5pm, I was fully dilated.  I asked my midwife if I could have a booster on the epidural because I could feel it wearing off.  She ordered it (thank goodness!).  I started pushing shortly after and my Monkey made his entrance into the world at 6:25 pm.  He was 9 lbs 7 oz and 21.25 inches.  Big ol' boy!  I only had a very minor tear.  Even though it was a minor tear it took 5 stitches to close it up.  Not fun at all, but not horrible.  Within a few days I was home, and within a few days from being home, I was feeling good enough to be up and around a good bit more.  Then after the first 14 days my stitches disolved and I really felt fine.  I was told I'd feel that way and to not think I was ok to do whatever I used to do before pregnancy.  So I listened and took it easy until 3 or 4 weeks had passed.  It's now 5 weeks post partum and I feel great.  I have my appt tomorrow to check and make sure I'm ok physically and such. 

BF'ing has been the biggest challenge of my life.  At first it just hurt soooo bad.  I had expected it to hurt, but everyone said after the first day or two it got better.  It didn't.  I really thought we were having latch issues, but I met with a lactation consultant and she said he was latching perfectly.  I persevered and we made it through those tough times.  It didn't hurt after 3 weeks.  Then all of a sudden I started getting blanching.  It hurts worse than the first few days sometimes.  I think it's something called Raynaud's.  It's a circulation issue.  I'm bringing it up with my midwife tomorrow.  Then I have heavy letdown too, so Monkey is coughing, pulling away, flailing and gagging when I try to feed him, unless it's only been 2 hours since the last feed.  I'm hoping things with that get better after the 6 weeks needed to establish supply.  I'm trying a new method tomorrow.  I'm going to give Monkey a bottle of expressed milk, then I'm going to pump.  I'm usually pretty engorged in the mornings, because Monkey sleeps for 4-6 hours a night now.  I'm not complaining about that!  But man it makes feedings hard because he never empties my breasts all day.  So all day he's gagging and such.  I'm hoping if I empty them in the morning, then nurse him every 2-3 hours, it won't be so bad.  We'll see if my theory pans out.  Between all these things, I'm literally to the point that I can see why people stop BF'ing and start formula.  I really don't think that's an option for us though, formula is way too expensive... Especially when I can feed Monkey for free.  I love nursing and I love having those little "us" times, but man I dread the pain afterwards. 

Other than that, Monkey is doing great... he's up to 12 lbs!  He's a chunkers!  I call him Monkey because when he was born and they did his footprints, his feet looked so huge!  And he is a very cuddly baby (like the baby chimps and such you see on TV, always grabbing on to their mommas).  So he's my little monkey.  :D  I'm getting the hang of this whole Mommy thing.  Hubby is getting there too.  His fuse is still a little short, he just doesn't know what to do to console him if he's crying but he's not hungry or needs a change.  LOL  I try to explain to him that I try a pacifier, then I start dancing around the room trying to bounce him into calmness. LOL  He's getting it though.  He keeps saying I need to get Monkey to the point that he can walk, babble and start throwing a ball, and he'll take it from there.  LOL  Guess he's kinda right... right now I'm the source of food and I can pick Monkey up and quiet his crying almost immediately.  It's just the Mommy touch.  Daddy's aren't quite the same at this age.  :)

On other happy news, we found out that two of our friends are now pregnant!  It's so great!  I knew they were trying, but they were keeping it under wraps until after they knew for sure (or after the first trimester).  I can understand that all too well.  So now almost all of us have kids.  Times are definitely changing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment